Friday, October 19, 2007

Are You Ready?

I know your deeds. See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut. I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name. Revelations 3:8
Today there are forecasts of a coming storm. As I left the house I reminded my girls to fill their cars up with gas, put chains in their car and carry their winter supplies with them. I talked to a friend at the coffee shop and asked him if he was ready. He said, “Yes, I have a generator and a back up generator.” I spoke to my doctor and she said they were making preparations because even when the area is down people still need medical services. Pastor David and I planned together how the church will stay warm and open if we have to go without power. Worship will always go on come snow storm, power outage, or earth quake. There will be a tremendous need for a great caring network in times like that. This might seem like a bit of an over reaction but last winter’s power outage was quite the experience. Let me ask you another question about the future. Are you ready for the possibilities? It may be easier to get ready for the disasters than the successes. Are you ready to publish that book, launch a new Tiny Little Church from the one you currently pastor, invest your bonus, enjoy a happy marriage, or take pleasure in a growing friendship? Have you mentally and spiritually prepared yourself for the good health you hope for, the fruitful ministry you have dreamed of and financial blessing that you pray about?

I believe that only God knows the plans He has for us – plans to prosper us and give us a future. Recently, I have commissioned Pastor Linda and Tim Magee to take a month and rewrite our church policy manual to prepare us for the explosion of ministry and opportunities that we are going to face with our new building. The last time I sent Pastor Linda on a well deserved sabbatical (and this is no sabbatical but a concentrated working task), I gave her the book, Sabbatical Journey by Henri Nouwen. Later she emailed me and said that it was a terrible book to give her because he died at the end of the sabbatical. So this time there is no book, but it is a time of preparation for blessing.

Are you ready for the wonderful blessings that God is preparing for you?

Your friend for the rest of my life,
Tim White

No comments: