Tuesday, May 13, 2008

"EW!"

Following Jesus is foolishness. It goes against every grain in my body. It goes against most of society. It's laughable and difficult. It is the last thing I wanted to do with my life. Yet Jesus draws me. My heart has been captivated. Now it beats for Him. Now it beats for His mission. His kingdom has turned my world upside down. Now I can’t imagine a life without Him. Maybe I am a fool. Maybe I am wasting my life. Maybe I am victim of a large hoax. What seems like foolishness to most, I call love.

“He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.”
Jim Elliot

Sometimes being a hero backfires! Today Elise freaked out when she saw what she thought was a tarantula on our back patio. She claimed it was dead - but... could I trust her? Courageously, I walked out back to see for myself. What I saw cannot be described in words! What happened next happened very fast. I said, “What the heck is this?” Suddenly, Elise screamed and ran away. The scream set off the baby who started crying too. Then she closed the back door, thereby locking me outside (with the enormous spider)!! In all the commotion I put the creature in a dustpan - but it tipped over throwing the creature closer to me. I tried to get away but Elise had locked me out! I was banging on the door begging Elise to let me in, but she wouldn’t because she thought it was still alive; now that I was scared. I felt like I was in one of those Alien movies where one poor guy is locked inside of the hatch where there is still a live alien. He pounds and pounds on the door but his ‘friends’ keep the door closed while the alien eats him alive.

I love being married.
Pastor Rey Diaz
Project Transformation
Tegucigalpa, Honduras

No comments: