Sunday, July 6, 2008

"We Need One Another!"

A spiritual gift is given to each of us so that we can help each other.
1 Corinthians 12:7

“We were both made for each other,” the young couple beamed as they sat in my office. I smiled, appreciating their love and also knowing the adventure that lay ahead of them. But they’re right. People are made for each other. We need one another. Many things in our own personalities force us into emotional, intellectual, and spiritual isolation. But no matter how difficult it is - with our uniqueness and porcupine-tendencies - we still all need one another.

Yesterday, I woke up before the rest of the family and got ready for work. I glanced over in the corner of our living room and still setting there were miniature cowboy boots, a cowboy hat, and chaps. They were remnants of Elijah’s stay with us. I walked over to pick them up and put them in his toy box, knowing that they will not fit him when he comes back again, I could not bring myself to put them away. I nicknamed him “El Tegrito” or “My Cute Little Tiger” because he seems to like things he’s afraid of such as the ocean, or a swimming pool, or our horse-dog Strider. He even rode on Strider’s back - and they were both smiling. I thought to myself, “I miss this little grandson so much!” God created us to need other people.

You will never know how good you can be until you get involved with other positive people. Join a “Tiny Little Church”, use your gifts, reach out and make some friendships with people that you wouldn’t normally befriend - you might be surprised. Make it to worship as regularly as you can and take time to pray for the people around you. Be religious about spending time with your family - enjoying them and encouraging them as if God were working through you. Because as odd as people can be; we really do need each other.

Your friend for the rest of my life,
Tim White

1 comment:

Ken said...

What a timeless, beautiful post Tim. Thank you.