Tuesday, March 10, 2009

"Servants In Training"

“If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there shall My servant also be;if anyone serves Me, the Father will honor him.” John 12:26 (NAS)

Perhaps it is because of my intense interest in human behavior that I have become a counselor. That might also be the reason that I have noted some definitely distinctivedifferences with “our kids” at Washington Cathedral from the many children I have worked with over the years as a teacher. I’ve had the immense honor to watch some of these “kids” turn into some pretty amazing adults right from infancy!

I had the experience of being with the Youth Group Team to visit Honduras awhile back and was able to observe that transformation first hand. I watched three young ladies become women of purpose and commitment during that short eight-day period. Each was in a slightly different season of life but each made significant adjustments in their lifestyle and thinking on that trip.

Since that time, I have observed that their original passion has settled into a deep burning resolution. They are now stoking that passion with education, networking andexperience so that the next time God calls them to do something beyond themselves, their passion will be fueled by knowledge and the assurance of their calling. They are turning into deeply committed servants and totally fired-up at what they believe God can do through them.

Grown-ups will have a similar experience early in 2009. It is my expectation that those adults will experience something akin to what the Youth Team experienced. Of course, it will be “age-appropriate” and will look a bit different, but it will definitely be a transforming experience because, while God definitely calls the equipped, He also equips the called for even greater things than any one of us ever thought possible.

Pastor Sally Jo Holmes

No comments: