Monday, May 4, 2009

"The Bible in 90 Days!"

Three basic questions may be asked of any text in the scriptures:
(1) What does it say? (2) What does it mean? (3) How does this impact me?

Teach me your decrees, O Lord; I will keep them to the end. Give me understanding and I will obeyyour instructions; I will put them into practice with all my heart. Make me walk along the pathof your commands, for that is where my happiness is found. Psalm 119:33-35

90 Days to read all the way through the Bible. Twelve pages a day. Three months of sermons from the pulpit inall of Washington Cathedral’s 14 worship services - moving from a mountain-peak of scripture to a mountain-peak ofunprecedented spiritual growth. Saturday evenings from 5:30-6pm enjoy free-flowing conversation (no questions barred) with “The Bible Answer Dudes”, Dr. Dale White and Dr. Doug Wheeler. There will be a one day through the Bible survey by Dr. Marty Folsom and a study through the Bible deeper (Adult Sunday School Seminar) offered in two parts by some of the finest Bible teachers in the church. Hundreds of small groups will study through the Bible together as well as Sunday School Classes, Youth Group, Positive Christian Singles, etc. I expect there might be families in the church that will take a moment to read an inspirational verse just before they pray and eat their meal together. I just talked with a dad who is reading through the Bible with his son in the family Bible; and while driving his truck, he also listens to Eugene Peterson’s Message Bible on CD. Don’t miss out on the adventure of a lifetime at WashingtonCathedral. The whole church committed to reading all the way through the Bible in 90 days! It has to be a source of unity and blessing to the community and the whole world. I have this deep expectation that God is getting ready to do something really exciting in the life of each family that takes this challenge.

I received my life-verse from theologian and famous scholar, Dr. Carl F. H. Henry. He has had an immenseimpact on my life. This is what he said about the Bible. “The Bible remains the most extensively printed, widelytranslated, and frequently read book in the world. Its words have been treasured in the hearts of multitudes like none other. All who have received its gifts of wisdom and promises of new life and power were at first strangers to itsredemptive message, and many were hostile to its teaching and spiritual demands. In every generation its power to challenge persons of all races and lands has been demonstrated. Those who cherish the Book because it sustains future hope, brings meaning and power to the present, and correlates a misused past with God’s forgiving grace, would not long experience such inner rewards if Scripture were not known to them as authoritative, divinely revealed truth.”

Yes, you will encounter more questions than you ever thought possible! Yes, you will find nuggets of gold in verses that will become a part of your character and will help forge your future. And yes, the most valuable keepsake that you leave behind may be that marked up Bible that you spent 90 days in the adventure of a lifetime with. Mark it with your pen, your highlighter, your tears, your questions and your inspiration; and know that for over a hundred years, those who love and admire you will treasure it as a reminder of the adventure you are about to embark on.Recently, the President of the United State, Barak Obama, chose to lay his hand on the Bible of Abraham Lincoln when he took the oath of office to lead the most powerful nation in the world at one of the most pivotal moments in history. No one knows how your Bible will be used as an inspiration for generations to come.

Your friend for the rest of my life,

Pastor Tim White

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rev 3:20 'Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him, and will dine with him, and he with Me.
Rev 3:14-22 is about the church at Laodicea, a rich and wealthy church that had become neither hot nor cold. I am energized to be challenged as a church community, by our Pastor, to read the bible in 90 days. I do not want Washington Cathedral to become the church at Laodicea, neither hot nor cold.
Let us take up this challenge and be bold in this endeavor.
Let us rise to the call of our Lord and Savior to be zealous and repent.'
'If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him, and will dine with him, and he with Me.'