Tuesday, July 7, 2009

"Congratulations to Pastor Scott!"

One of the challenging times in any family is when it is time for a family member to move on to explore a new chapter in their life. Whether it’s a child leaving for college, a son or daughter gettingmarried, or a close friend moving out of the area to take an amazing new job. For Jackie and I we are just beginning to understand the many emotions that come with the “empty-nest” syndrome. We are so proud of each of our children and we are so happy for the new adventures they are on in building their lives, but of course, we do miss them. We would never expect or even want them to forgo their new opportunity just to satisfy our need to have them around. We love them, so we want them to go where God wants them to be.

Just this week, Pastor Scott Burnett, came to tell me that he had an opportunity to take on an exciting new challenge in his career. After much prayer, he had accepted a position as Director of Worship and Arts at University Presbyterian Church in Seattle. He feels that it is the fulfillment of a dream he and his wife had for moving back to Seattle, plus an opportunity to have a key position on the staff of one of the foremost Presbyterian churches in the country. I found myself having some of the same emotions I had when my kids moved out of the house, I am so proud and happy for Scott, but I know we will all miss him.

Of all the churches in the Seattle area, we have always had a very close kinship with UPC over the years. They have always been supportive of us—lending us musical instruments, musicians, even their Senior Pastor speaking at our conference. Not to mention, the relationship with my mentor, Bruce Larson, for many years. So it almost feels like Pastor Scott is going to a sister church.

Pastor Scott has been a wonderful asset to our Pastoral team and we have enjoyed the time that he has spent leading our worship. Please help me in congratulating Scott on his new position. Scott’s last weekend as part of our staff is July 11th & 12th. We will have a reception for him on Sunday the 12th at 12:30 in the cafĂ©. Stop by, sign his card, and wish him well.

(I have appointed a team to do a national search for a new Worship Director for Washington Cathedral. For now, Sara Clark will be leading the Praise Team and I have a great staff of people to help with the other aspects of worship for this interim period.)

Your friend for the rest of my life,

Pastor Tim White

No comments: