Tuesday, February 1, 2011

"Do Not Be Afraid!"

“Don’t be afraid,” he said, “for you are very precious to God. Peace! Be encouraged! Be strong!” As he spoke these words to me, I suddenly felt stronger and said to him, “Please speak to me, my lord, for you have strengthened me.” Daniel 10:19

I had a very encouraging conversation with one of the incredible young men in our church over lunch the other day. This young man is a very committed husband and father of two small children. When I asked him why he wanted to meet for lunch, he said, “No reason. I was just feeling incredibly positive about the church and I wanted to get together to tell you that I believe this is a break-through time in the history of Washington Cathedral.” He went on to talk about his kids, his marriage, his business and his church with heroic devotion. Little did he know how much I needed to hear his words that day! As I drove away from his office building I was praying, “God, does that young man know what he means to our whole church family and our community? What a privilege to be his pastor and friend! I wonder if he realizes that when a pastor goes to the hospital to visit someone, or counsels a troubled life in their office, or plans a community impacting event, it is because of people like him and their deep commitment.” Then I thought to myself, “Why didn’t I tell him all of this?” I began to think of several incredibly challenged individuals who were being ministered to that very day by our church and I started to tear up. I wonder if he has any idea of the impact of his life! And then I was glad I had not tried to tell him―I would have embarrassed myself with my deep emotion. In my eyes, this young family is nothing less than heroic! Without people and families like this there would not be a Washington Cathedral. They have been successful because they have refused to surrender leadership to discouragement, pessimism, opposition, criticism, or any other force. They only surrender leadership to God and they are being incredibly blessed because of it! In fact, they have become an incredible blessing!

This is what the prophet Daniel teaches us. He was going through a tough time, but he had one essential characteristic which set his path towards success. He refused to surrender the leadership of his life to any force other than God! Success, for the Christian, is finding and fulfilling God’s plan for their life. By that score Daniel was an outstanding success- - - and for you the word is the same! Do not be afraid, you are highly esteemed. Be peaceful, be strong now―when God speaks, you will be strengthened!!

Lord Jesus, I pray for all the believers, young and old that they would refuse to surrender leadership of their lives to any other force but you¾not to popularity, not to whims, not to over reactions, not to financial challenges, health challenges, personal discouragement, or to pressure! God give them a holy stubbornness to surrender leadership only to you, and thereby open their lives to blessings and to becoming a blessing.

Your friend for the rest of my life,

Pastor Tim White

No comments: