Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Walls Came Tumbling Down: Three Qualities that Break Down Strongholds in Your Life

When the people heard the sound of the rams’ horns, they shouted as loud as they could. Suddenly, the walls of Jericho collapsed, and the Israelites charged straight into the town and captured it. Joshua 6:20

Many times in our lives we have the same problems that hold us back for years, decades, and even generations. It’s what some Christians call a “stronghold.” Jericho was that kind of stronghold standing against the people of Israel. At one time it was known as the oldest archeological site in the world―in other words- - - perhaps one of the oldest cities in history. I don’t think that’s true today (although I haven’t been reading my archeological periodicals enough know what is). In the 1970s I was at an archeological dig of one of the sites located at the oasis where more than one ancient city existed. Israel was terrified of this fortified city. At one point they turned back from the promise land after scouting it out and realizing that Jericho was unfriendly and invincible.

In an act of obedience they marched around the city for seven days and on the seventh day marched around it seven times. In a display of praise, they shouted and the walls came a tumbling down! A stronghold that had held them back for generations from all that God had promised them was removed.

That sounds easy. Is it? Obedience, humility and submission are qualities that are rare for Christians today. In the bestselling book “Radical: Stealing Your Faith Back from the American Dream” the author points out how easily our self-willed lives can miss the point that God has for us. Obedience is a very difficult obstacle. Jonah had to be swallowed by a great fish before he would comply with God’s will for his life. I think any of us might rethink our plans after being thrown up on a beach by a great fish. Jesus used this as a metaphor for what he had to go through on the cross. Paul said he had to go through something like that before God could get his attention. He was as he said, “Crucified with Christ.” Are you willing to swallow your pride and do it God’s way? That’s a lesson I’ve learned and relearned in my walk with the Lord. Fortunately, I have never been swallowed by a great fish, but I have had some tough experiences that I am ashamed to say were necessary for God to get my attention.

Second was praise. We love to whine and complain―it becomes an addiction, but we are never at our best and ready for victory until we are ready to shout for praise. Do you ever watch a sports team get ready? They don’t do it by complaining- - - they do it by shouting. I loved watching the women’s soccer team this year (I was sad at their loss, but happy for Japan). As I watched our team of winners be interviewed all week on different shows; I thought, “They are really amazing people.” You could see in their eyes that they were winners- - - and they were gracious in their comments about their loss to Japan. There was something in their hearts that made each one of those young athletes beautiful. I see that same look in my two daughter’s eyes. I hope that we can model that attitude of confident praise that makes walls come tumbling down for every young person growing up in the church.

There was a prophet at the conference I just returned from. He said that God told him we are at the door. And if we have the faith to go through it; this next year will be the most blessed year in the history of our church. I believed him when he said it. Are you ready to see the walls come tumbling down? I am!

Your friend for the rest of my life,

Pastor Tim White

No comments: