Friday, September 2, 2011

"Ministry of Solitude"

Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. Colossians 3:13 (NLT)

When I was growing up in the Tri-Cities, it seemed that everyone was always afraid of a nuclear chain reaction at one of the atomic reactors in the Hanford area. They worried that one atomic particle could be transformed by the radiation of another and then transform others to grow at an exponential rate until they were out of control; and there would be a catastrophic nuclear event.

We need such a chain reaction of forgiveness in our community of family and friends. A chain reaction that causes a meltdown of the cold, oppressive wall that is formed by the real hurts and pain resulting from our human imperfections and wrong-doings. I think that lack of forgiveness not only causes families to suffer in loneliness at a distance from the very people they need, but I wonder how many companies are also held back by lack of teamwork- - - which is rooted in real hurts that can only be healed by real forgiveness.

I’m convinced that the message of forgiveness is a universal message in its appeal. The atheist or the secularist knows in their heart of hearts that wrongdoing destroys human relationships and that real forgiveness is necessary. They know this because at some time they have been on the offending side of that equation and their inner hope is that there would be some “medicine” which could repair the damage. They also know this because they have been on the offended side of this universal equation and instinctively they don’t want a watered-down forgiveness that says, “It’s all right to hurt another”- - - they need something deeply transforming that brings atonement for the guilt, pain, and suffering.

The message of Christ’s death on the cross for our sins and his resurrection for our new life, which lasts forever, is one which speaks to every one of our emotional needs.

When I receive communion from an elder after a worship service and the Spirit of God is speaking to my heart―I experience God forgiving my sins- - - I am relieved of my burdens, I am full of trust and hope again, and I love everyone. Yes, everyone! What I had been frustrated and desperate about now unimportant and I praise the Lord. When I take a walk with Jesus, memorize a scripture, spend 30 minutes on my knees soaring in prayer- - - I feel no need to follow one whim or another, but to make a steady course to follow Jesus in my life. Let us not forget the Ministry of Solitude in a world which is overwhelmed by the loudest noise and the quickest fix.

Your friend for the rest of my life,

Pastor Tim White

No comments: