Friday, February 17, 2012

An Exciting Adventure: Humility

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus. Philippians 2:3-4

The issue of self-esteem and humility is a tough one to work out. So many people are desperately in need of confidence to face the difficulties and challenges they face. Yet others become so proud that they are offensive to others with their disregard for the thoughts and feelings of those around them. I have wrestled with this issue throughout my ministry. As I think back to some of the people I have mentored in the past- - - lack of humility has been a big issue. Some grow and get so spiritual that they are not only un-teachable, but they isolate themselves with their superior attitude.

This is not to say that I have not wrestled with this issue myself- - - I think God is trying to help me grow in this area. The phrase “Consider others better than yourself”, can be a touchy statement in Scripture. We, as a church, have always had as our guideline “Love your neighbor as yourself.” In other words treat others as you would like to be treated. I think the choice of words is important. It doesn’t say that others are better than you―that could be fundamentally damaging for someone to constantly be focusing on how everyone is better than they are. Instead, it’s a basic introduction to politeness. When I think of this phrase, I remember times of being invited over to peoples’ homes and being treated with amazing civility. In fact, they were living out Philippians 2:3-4. I believe that humility is not about eroding your personal respect as a God created human being, but about treating others with more respect because of your love for Jesus Christ. And it doesn’t mean you have to buy everything everyone is selling because some of it may not be honest, ethical or practical. Sometimes you have to make a firm stand and do it in a loving way. It is just something that we all have a lot to learn more about.

What I am sure of is that those who have begun the way of humility described in Philippians have opened the door to very exciting adventure- - - a life-honoring leadership style and a second world of communication and relationships that were not available before. Let’s join together for this new adventure as we apply this biblical principle to our lives.

Your friend for the rest of my life,

Pastor Tim White

No comments: