Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Problem with Fear


By Rey Diaz

Whenever I first would go up to the garbage dump, I was always sacred for my life.  I was going into a place where half the people carried machetes on their side and the other half carried guns. I was going into a place where even the police would not come.  I was going into a place outside the law.  But as long as I was with Pastor Jeony, I felt safe.  The people loved him because he loved them.  So as long as Pastor Jeony was in the garbage dump with me, I knew the people would do me no harm. 

One of the few times I had an incident in the garbage dump, was when pastor Jeony was unable to come with me to the dump. 

How much more should I feel safe because my heavenly father is with me.  There have been times in my life when I have allowed fear to take control and lead me, define me, and mold me.  Since we are human we will all experience fear at some point.  Fear is not a sin.  Fear is an opportunity to run to God or run away. 

The most frequently mentioned command in the bible is “Do not be afraid.”  Usually that commands comes with the phrase “Because I will be with you.”   It’s not a command but an invitation.  God is inviting us into a different type of life.  A life where we don’t have to let fear define us, restrict us or hinder us.  Fear is trying to distract us from who God really is.  Because when fear comes, we tend to forget God.  Don’t let that happen. 

I am asking everyone to memorize Isaiah 41:10.  To repeat it throughout the day.  To let this truth sink in deep.  So that when you do face fear, you wont flinch but will look at God standing next to you. 

Isaiah 41:10 - Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand. 

No comments: