Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Better Than Ever

Last week we looked at a prophesy for our church from God's word that was laid on the heart of Pastor Rey’s godly mother, Isabel Diaz.  Focusing on Haggai 2:3-9, the message was entitled “Better than Ever” and I challenged everyone, not only to pray about participating in the transition fund at Washington Cathedral but to buy a Bible, if you don't have one, and bring it to church with this passage marked.  We believe it is the word of God for us.  We receive it, we are going to stand upon it and we are going to live by it. 

Last week I heard the sad news that David "Deacon" Jones had passed away at the age of 74.  I had the privilege to spend some time with Deacon Jones and invited him to come and speak at Washington Cathedral.  I had called him a couple of times to arrange for him to come and speak but he was always too busy with his charity activity.  If you are not a football fan then you might be wondering why I would invite this mountain of a man to come and speak at our church.

 I had met Deacon at a Super Bowl Most Valuable Player of the Year party.  Well, there was a special party before the party.  He walked across the room and introduced himself to me and said, “Hi I am Deacon Jones and I smell a quarterback over here.  I hate quarterbacks.  I want to kill one right now.”  I was talking to Bart Starr and asking him for his autograph for my dad. And he said, “Not Bart Starr, he is the only quarterback I like but the rest are… (he then let out a string of old fashioned swear words).”  Then, while he still had my hand, telling me how he was going to kill a quarterback tonight, he said, “You didn't play quarterback did you?”

 I think it was a set up by my friend to put the fear of The Lord in me.  It worked because I lied and said that I had never played quarterback.  He said, “You smell like a quarterback.”  I have to tell you, I was shaking.  Deacon Jones was called the greatest pass rusher in the history of the game.  They never counted quarterback sacks until after his time.  He coined the turn.  They used to be called quarterback dumps.  He was a part of the fearsome foursome from 1961-1971 at the LA Rams.  In one 14 game season, he had 26 sacks in 1967.  That was before QBs threw the ball so much.  There was no one like him. I asked him if he was a Christian, thinking that might help with his squeezing my hand and saying he was going to kill me.  He swore, “Of course, my name is Deacon Jones.”  I have to tell you that this man caused you to respect him.  Later we talked about his love for charity and he agreed to come and speak at our church. 

When Deacon Jones talked people listened.  Do we respect God's word as much?  God said, “Be of good courage do not give in to fear - things are going to be better than ever.” Do we respect him enough to believe it?  Speak it?  Live it?

I spoke to Deacon Jones that night. I am not a quarterback - I am a pastor.  I hoped he believed me.

Now we speak God's word.  We are not fearful people; we are your people ready to live by your word.

Your friend for the rest of my life,

Pastor Tim White 

No comments: