Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Seek to Understand


“When I arrived here the other day, I was fascinated with all the shrines I came across. And then I found one inscribed, to the god nobody knows. I’m here to introduce you to this God so you can worship intelligently, know who you’re dealing with.” Acts 17:22-23 (The Message)

The above passage is part of a “sermon” that Paul gives to a group of philosophers in Athens. The other night at our Small Group TLC we were exploring together how best to handle loved ones, and people around us, when their beliefs about God are different from ours. We could think of all the examples that don’t’ seem to work – argument, belittling, ignoring, etc. We all agreed that the Apostle Paul was a master at coming alongside people and then pointing them toward Jesus.

A great example of Paul’s ministry is his message to the Athenians. Before he said anything, he observed, and looked for something to help him to understand the people he was addressing. Then he used what he saw to affirm them for having beliefs--at the same time pointing them to Christ, but in the context of what they would understand. Paul had encountered Jesus personally, and often referred to the fact that seeing Jesus had turned his life around.

I don’t know about you but I have a tendency to want to “argue people into heaven.” I enjoy a good debate and sometimes let my desire to win the debate get in the way of pointing them to Jesus. But, if I take a lesson from Paul, and let my encounters with Jesus take over for my desire to win a debate, then I find that I can step back and seek to understand where someone is coming from. I can also better value their opinion and viewpoints and gently introduce some things for them to consider. When I take my own needs out of the picture, and focus on my relationship with Christ, amazing things begin to happen.

Pastor Tim is beginning a series this week to lead our church into a deeper understanding of what it means to live a life following Jesus and seeing what the Gospel of John reveals to us about living in the Kingdom of God each and every day. His first in the series is “The Jesus Secret!” In addition, he has asked our leaders to read the book “Lead Like Jesus” by Ken Blanchard and Phil Hodges; and he has asked our WOW ladies to do a Beth Moore study of “Jesus, The One and Only.” My prayer is that you will join me in a renewed focus on Jesus, and like Paul, “seek to understand before we seek to be understood.”

Blessings,
Linda Skinner

No comments: