Tuesday, August 28, 2007

God's Workmanship

Having recently celebrated another birthday (as I have heard it said “this was the 20th celebration of my 39th birthday”), I have come to appreciate some of the finer things of this life. I believe those finer things are the people God brings into our lives.
I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but we have some pretty fantastic people around our church. I have been particularly “blown away” by some of the young people who are interning at Washington Cathedral in areas of ministry. These men and women have a love for God that is inspiring to watch. They all have jobs, go to school, and yet find time to serve the church in amazing ways. They are people like Becca White, McKenzie DeBow, David Gunther, Sara Clark, Ben McCary and Ricardo Uribe. If you ever think that God’s workmanship is in anyway lacking in our young people, you need to sit down with anyone of these people and just talk to them for a few minutes. You will find out that God has prepared some great people to do His work. They organize and lead some of our worship services; they lead praise teams; they lead youth groups, and they display the love of Christ while they are doing God’s work.

Last Saturday night at about 7:30 pm, after dinner in the HRC, Rich and I walked through the Atrium and saw Becca White and Ben McCary stacking and rearranging chairs for the 8:00 service. I stopped and asked if they needed any help because it looked like a big job for just the two of them. Becca smiled and said “No thank you, this is a good time for us to pray for the service while we’re moving the chairs.” I walked out and breathed a prayer of “thank you Lord for people like Becca and Ben--I know Your work will continue because of Your workmanship in them.”

I could tell you similar stories about each of the interns but we’ll save those for later. My prayer for all of us is that we all take stock of the finer things in our lives--the people around us – those works of God doing what they were created to do.

Great Master, teach us with Your skillful hand;
Let not the music that is in us die!
Great Sculptor, hew and polish us;
nor letHidden and lost, Your form within us lie!
—Horatius Bonar

No comments: