Tuesday, August 21, 2007

God Loves Science


He determines the number of the stars and calls them each by name. Great is our Lord and mighty in power, his understanding has no limit. Psalm 147:4-5

My Dad taught me to love the stars. He pointed out the constellations to me and told me their names. Our family camped in the Adirondack Mountains for two weeks each summer. That was the best place for stargazing.

The air was clean and there wasn’t much manmade light to mess up the show. The sky was spectacular. We’d stare into the vast canopy until our necks were sore.

Science doesn’t dim the wonder of Nature; in fact, it can be a lens that allows us to look more deeply into God’s handiwork.
Dr. Paul Brand was a pioneer in restorative surgery for leprosy victims. He said, “I have been through medical school, and was trained in surgery. I learned about anatomy and physiology and pathology. I studied germs and cancer. I know what to do when people are injured. Yet, I have come to realize that every patient of mine, every new-born baby, in every cell of its body, has a basic knowledge about how to survive and how to heal, that exceeds anything that I shall ever know. That knowledge is the gift of God, who has made our bodies more perfectly than we could ever have devised.”

Molecular Biologist and author, Dr. John Medina, has said, “When you are curious, you become fearless. You don’t care what’s out there. You just want to know. Curiosity has the strong ability to make you look at the world with wide-eyed wonder and ask How was this made?”

Dr. Medina is very clear about the passion that animates his scientific investigations...

“Curiosity means more to me than I can tell you. It even influences my theology. If you are curious enough about your origins, you’ll bump face-to-face with Jesus Christ – because nobody else is out there.”
Scott Burnett

If you’re interested in hearing more from Dr. John Medina, he’ll be interviewed by Pastor Tim in our Sunday morning services on August 26th.

No comments: