Wednesday, August 8, 2007

A Time of Inspiration

And I have put my words in your mouth and hidden you safely in my hand. I stretched out the sky like a canopy and laid the foundations of the earth. I am the one who says to Israel, ‘You are my people!’ Isaiah 51:16 (NLT)

Weekly at our staff meetings we have been discussing in sequence each book of the Bible. This past week our topic was Psalms. We all agreed how much the Psalms mean to each of us because they are a collection of poetry and in this collection there is a Psalm that speaks to just about every human emotion we have experienced or will experience.
We shared with each other our favorite of the Psalms and as each person shared their favorite, everyone was blessed by the other’s sharing. We then had an assignment to take 10 minutes to write devotionally about our favorite Psalm. Many had some wonderful things to share, but one particular person when they shared everyone in the room knew that this was a “God inspired” moment.

Merriam Webster Dictionary defines “inspiration” as “a divine influence or action on a person believed to qualify him or her to receive and communicate sacred revelation.” The pause of silence (which it is very unusual for our staff to experience silence in one of our meetings) and the look of reverence on everyone’s face exposed to any observer that this is a “divine moment” inspired by God.

The favorite Psalm of this person was a favorite of many – Psalm 23. And as she shared her inspiration, she did so with such humility saying “I just wrote Psalm 23 in my own words; nothing special.” Then she went on to read what she wrote down. Here is Psalm 23 as Pastor Marilyn Biggs was inspired to paraphrase it for us (Our prayer is that you find it as divine as we did at the reading of these words):



Psalm 23Paraphrased by Marilyn Biggs

The Lord is my shepherd-And I am one of his little lambs
He leads me and guides me and walks with meAnd protects me and provides for me.
When I am going through difficult times and dark placesHe walks with me through them.
He comforts me and when I am sad or hurting.My cup overflows,
And His goodness and love and mercy are always with me.
And that will continue all the days of my life here on earth and in Heaven forever.

No comments: