Monday, January 21, 2008

"Our Son Jake"

Our son Jake (5 years old) has autism. He is incredibly smart but is missing the piece to connect with others. When he was 1 year old, he had about 20 words and first said, “Mommy” around his first birthday. At about 19 months old Jake lost all of his language and I did not hear "Mommy" for almost a year. Jake seemed to have gone into his own world. Not connecting to us at all. We have spent numerous hours in therapy, by his side trying to get our little boy back. With much hard work he is beginning to connect more. Jake is a five year old boy that can not tell us he is hungry or like other five year olds, ask to go to McDonalds or even that he wants to go to the playground. This morning I am doing my usual pick up around the house and Jake came over to me, turned my face to look at his eyes (this is hard for children with autism) and asked me, "Are we going to church Mommy?" I know that came from God and I no longer need to wonder why we have Jake in our lives. Yes... we came to church and today changed my life... because I listened to my little boy. We have been gifted with Jake and God gave him to us for a reason. We are the lucky ones.

Like everyone... we are a family with a lot on our plates and find ourselves procrastinating often by getting everyone into the car for one more place to be… even Washington Cathedral. Having a child with autism has not only blessed our lives but also tired us out tremendously. Scott spends many hours at work trying to make and save as much as he can because we have no idea what we will need to do for Jake in the future. My days are full and never-ending, making sure everyone gets from here to there. Courtney is almost 7 and although it is often hard for her to understand that her little brother has special needs she is the best friend he could ever have. Jake is a true blessing to our entire family. From him we have learned to have faith (lots of it). I know that we can no longer handle this road alone. I could not hold back the tears today after hearing how important children are to you and your family. I have always found Washington Cathedral to be a place that I can bring Jake and he is always welcomed with open arms. After this morning, I know in my heart that we want Jesus to be a part of our lives every day, we want a church family and to surround ourselves with others who have a strong faith and love towards children. We have also started a charitable organization called Autism is Real. We want to make a difference in these kids’ lives!
Thank you for a great service today!
Tonya Baker and family

2 comments:

Alison Brammer said...

Loving the personal stories.

k1 said...

I am so glad you listened to God speak through Jake!