Monday, January 7, 2008

"What's Your Achilles Heel?"

With your very own hands you formed me; now breathe your wisdom over me so I can understand you. When they see me waiting, expecting your Word, those who fear you will take heart and be glad. I can see now, God, that your decisions are right; your testing has taught me what's true and right. Oh, love me—and right now!—hold me tight! Just the way you promised. Now comfort me so I can live, really live; your revelation is the tune I dance to. Let the fast-talking tricksters be exposed as frauds; they tried to sell me a bill of goods, but I kept my mind fixed on your counsel. Let those who fear you turn to me for evidence of your wise guidance. And let me live whole and holy, soul and body, so I can always walk with my head held high.
Psalm 119:73-80 The Message

Do you ever feel like you make the same New Year’s resolutions every year?

I'm 28 now and the idealism over New Year’s resolutions has faded a bit for me.

This year, knowing that I make the same resolutions every year, I'm thinking reflectively: What is my Achilles heel? What is the one main thing that keeps me from becoming all that God intends?

I think a lot of people have an "Achilles heel" that is fairly easily discovered. Think about some of the characters in the Bible: King David: lust; Moses: quick temper; Peter: lack of faith; Paul: legalism. What's interesting about all of these characters in that God redeemed their areas of greatest weakness!

I think my Achilles heel is lack of discipline. Lack of discipline keeps me from diligence in my devotional life and the close connection with God that I desire. Lack of discipline keeps me from memorizing scripture that would help me to break strongholds in my life. Lack of discipline will have a long-term consequence on my health and has kept me from being a good steward of the vocational opportunities God has placed before me (college, etc.).

I think if we can become aware of our particular Achilles heel, we can open it up to God to reform it. If you'd like, you can pray this prayer from Psalm 119 along with me: "With your very own hands you formed me; now breathe your wisdom over me so that I can understand you... And let me live whole and holy, soul and body, so I can always walk with my head held high."
Elise Diaz

No comments: