Saturday, February 16, 2008

"Community Is Not Dead!"

I look around at the neighborhood in which I live, and I realize that it is not the neighborhood of my youth. Small-town Nebraska was filled with families deeply rooted in their geography; my family knew them all, both the “town-people” and the ranchers, and we were related to many of them. Community was a critically important part of our lives. It was more than just a social calendar; community was a survival network – a safety net for our lives. When thelocal fire department siren blared to life, we all knew it was time to get out of the local jewelry store or clothing store because the owner and volunteer fireman was on his way to help. Word traveled fast. Sometimes it was a minor emergency. Sometimes it wasn’t. “HankSawyer got his arm caught in a baler. You want to ride with me?” Where did that community go? Have we outgrown our need for it? As for the community of my youth, it is shrinking but not gone. As for the rest of us, we all need to feel a part of a community – a group of friends we can count on in times of trouble. A group that will rejoice with us in times of joy, comfort us in times of sorrow, and just show up with a helping hand when the kids are sick, the car just broke down, and the boss is demanding more than we can give!

I am so thankful that community is not dead at Washington Cathedral. It is an integral part of who we are! I look around, and I see the bright smiles on the greeters. I notice the sincere caring in the eyes of those who hear of a need. I watch the teachers in the classes as they greet the children coming in. I watch the small group leaders minister to their families. I am encouraged, and I realize, COMMUNITY IS NOT DEAD, IT HAS JUST RELOCATED!

It also makes me realize that I can do more. I can make a greater effort to say “Hi!” to the new family in the third row. I can make sure they know they are welcome and I can answer their questions. I can join a small group and reap the blessings of a new community of friends. I can make a difference in the lives of the people around me! After all, isn’t that what community is? And aren’t those the people that Jesus was really referring to when he said “Love your neighbor as yourself?” I am energized by the opportunity to serve. Join me in the excitement!
Elaine Brammer

1 comment:

Alison Brammer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.