Tuesday, November 10, 2009

"Thank You Jesus!!!"

“These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full. This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.” John 15:11-12 (New King James)

“Thank you Jesus!” These are the words most often said by Pastor Jeony, the founder of theproject at the Honduras city dump. I don't know how many times he says them every day, but his voice is almost musical as he says these magic words. This phrase is his way of saying yes to God. In spite of his questions, hurts and struggles; it is, “Thank you Jesus!” For my Grandpa it was the phrase, “The wonder of it all!” He would say that phrase at least 25 times a day—again with almost a musical quality. It was his way of saying, “I don't understand, but yes God! Let’s go! Let’s have it your way!”

“Yes” is always a powerful word. I remember when Jackie said yes to me when I asked her to marry me. What a terrifying position to be in (telling someone that you love them more than anything you can imagine and would they marry you!!) Pause… then came a smile and “Yes!”

I remember a wedding that I performed for a wonderful couple. It was a big, glorious wedding and they flew me to an island to perform it and then I flew back (in a plane). When I asked the bride if she would take this man to be her lawfully wedded husband—she said, “No.” Several in the audience gasped. I was at a loss for words, so I didn’t say anything. Her groom almost fainted; he was totally caught off guard. Then she smiled and said, “Just kidding. Yes!!!”

So many times I have asked someone in the church to take on a challenge that would determine the outcome of the dream of Washington Cathedral, and I have driven home with a huge grin on my face. I couldn’t wait to tell Jackie that they said yes!!!

What a way to begin every day! Maybe it is a good example of walking in the Spirit or literally “marching in the Spirit” as it says in the Greek. Saying yes to God in the beginning, in themiddle, in the tough times and when we don't understand. Just saying, “Yes Sir! I trust you and it will be an honor to do this thing your way.”

If there is any magic in this world~ ~ ~ it starts with the magical word of a divine Yes!

Your friend for the rest of my life,

Pastor Tim White

No comments: