Tuesday, April 27, 2010

“Please be patient . . . God’s not finished with me yet!”

I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. (Philippians 1:3-6)


I love to remind people about this statement - Please be patient . . . God’s not finished with me yet! In fact, it almost makes me laugh to think of it. All these people think they have you and I figured out. They have their list of criticisms and disappointments, and behind our backs they share with delight our failings and mistakes. Then God goes and works a miracle in our lives and we grow!

Isn’t that just like God? Just when everyone thinks they have the picture figured out, he changes the picture. After they memorize the facts for the test―God changes the test. And some people think that God doesn’t laugh!

I plan to change a lot this spring, not to mention this year, and don’t even try and figure out what I will be like in the next five years. My friends, my kids, my church, my community are all going to be shocked at how God works through my life; and I will be laughing and thinking, “God is just so cool!”

If you feel like your boss, teacher, coach, parent, child, or spouse is frustrated with some of your humanness- - - leave them a note saying, “Please be patient - God’s not finished with me yet!” Then, let God change you. Delight in astounding people with the grace of Jesus Christ working powerfully in your life!

What is it that you have to do to change and grow that would make people just say, “No way!!!” Quit smoking? Lose weight? Be on time? Develop study habits? Become more outgoing? Try harder? Worry less? Apologize? Listen to advice? Smile more? Go ahead! Crack a smile and knock all your critics on their rear-ends to the glory of God! (Well, don’t physically knock them on their rear-ends, it’s just a metaphor for the shock they will feel.) You know what I mean- - - go out and let God shock people through your growth!

Your friend for the rest of my life,

Pastor Tim White

No comments: