Tuesday, April 13, 2010

What does the Lord require of you?

To act justly and to love mercy and walk humbly with your God. Micah 6:8
At first reading, that seems reasonable enough, doesn’t it? Who wouldn’t want to act in a just way? But, wait! What does that mean exactly? Am I acting justly when I speak out with passion on a cause I embrace as a “just” cause? What about those who oppose my point-of-view? Even though I may disagree with them, is their cause less just?

Who wouldn’t love mercy? But, wait! What is mercy exactly? Does it mean a lot of “second chances” for others? What does it mean in terms of my own personal boundaries? Is itmerciful to walk on by a panhandler with the notion that to provide him or her with money will only support an addictive habit, therefore, out of mercy, I withhold the dollars? I’m not sure.

Walk humbly with your God? Of course! That’s the dream of every Christian – “me and God, walking side by side.” But, wait! What is this “humbly” stuff? Doesn’t that have something to do with “courage under pressure?” Or does it mean that I always put myself last in the lineup? Or…what does it mean really?

If you aren’t part of a TLC (small group) where some of these issues can be addressed and maybe even clarified and put to rest, you are missing out! God wants us to grapple with His word and come to terms with it. He speaks to us in a variety of ways and a supportive, loving and caring small group is one of those ways.

Don’t struggle alone! There’s the perfect match for you meeting on a day and timeconvenient to your schedule. Talk to Pastor Dale, he’s the TLC coordinator and would love to put you in touch with a group that can vitalize your spiritual life in a way that nothing else can! Call the church office at 425-869-5433 and ask to speak with him. You’ll be glad you did!

Pastor Sally Jo Holmes

No comments: