Monday, May 17, 2010

Uncertain Certainty

Uncertain Certainty was the theme for today’s devotion and it has certainly been that. None of us knows what can
happen moment to moment, but if my certainty lies in God, then I need not fear it, but look to it as a life of surprise.

Looking back over my life there have been many surprises. Things not going according to my plans, detours and redirections, but it has made for a colorful life and not one I would have traded. Because of all those ‘happenings’ that went into getting me to this point in my life, I have a perspective from this vantage point I would not want to miss. I hope I have learned to extend grace because it was extended to me, and hope I don’t stand in place of judging another because I never know what I might do if those same circumstances were presented to me. There is the idea that one can never know another ‘until he’s walked a mile in his shoes’ and this bears truth to that.

There is only one certainty in my life and that is that God loves me and has fashioned a plan unique to me. All I need do is allow Him to reveal it to me by being obedient to Him. I know what it feels like to be disobedient, impatient and intent on doing my own thing, due to my thinking He’s not moving fast enough; and I hope not to repeat that…There is peace in this certainty of God. It is to become as a child trusting and eager; living in the moment not anticipating the future with dread or fear; but in eagerness looking forward to the next playtime.

Observe a child at play. They are totally living in the moment. Not worrying about if mom will have food enough for dinner or if she has clothes to wear. They just trust it will happen. Was this what Jesus was talking about in Matthew 6:25-34 this simplicity of trust? Life will happen and there isn’t much we can do about that. But to lean on and depend upon our Heavenly Father during life’s happenings, this something we can do something about.

Lean not on your own understanding but in all your ways acknowledge God
and He will make your way straight” Proverbs 3:56

Seek first God's kingdom and what God wants.
Then all your other needs will be met as well.
So don't worry about tomorrow, because tomorrow will have its own worries.
Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Matthew 6:33-34

from a grateful member of Washington Cathedral

No comments: