Thursday, May 19, 2011

Still Splashing Joy!

And then he told them, “Go into all the world and preach the Good News to everyone.” Mark 16:15


We have a dream of a great network of churches from all ethnic groups working together as one team out to build the greatest caring network that the world has ever seen. I believe that last Sunday was a glimpse into the future of Christianity. Over 50 people attended our Pastor’s Welcome Brunch / (Discovery Class)—people from Mexico, Brazil, Egypt, El Salvador, Columbia, Peru, the Philippines, and un-churched people from the United States. When I asked everyone to share a little about their faith background, I had no idea at what would happen next. In the history of Washington Cathedral we have never had a class like this! Every story was a tearful telling of redemption, new faith, the discovering of a family and a great caring network. The tears were flowing, but prayers of thanksgiving were also flowing for those who know what it has taken to get this church this far. But more than that- - - it was a viewpoint. You know when you are backpacking and you come around a bend and you see the top of the mountain you are going to climb. It makes your heart pound, takes your breath away and you are filled with new energy. One member of our church leaned over to me and said, “I think this was a ‘God thing’ that we were here to experience this!”

I am somewhat versed in what’s happening at Washington Cathedral, but I was in no way prepared for the beauty, the drama, the pure-hearted Christianity that came pouring out that day. I will never be the same. I can say with Martin Luther King Jr. that, “I have seen the mountain top!” I may not get there with you, but we as a people will get to the mountain top! Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord. I will never be the same after that class.

Your friend for the rest of my life,

Pastor Tim

No comments: