Thursday, August 18, 2011

Stop & Notice the Mountain (And Other Great Things in Your Life)!

The heavens declare the glory of God, and the skies announce what his hands have made. Day after day they tell the story; night after night they tell it again. They have no speech or words; they have no voice to be heard. But their message goes out through all the world; their words go everywhere on earth. Psalm 19:1-4 (NCV)

The other day I was driving to the church from my home in Woodinville and as I came around the corner (by Chateau Ste. Michelle), in front of Willows Lodge was a man who had stopped his car and was taking pictures. I slowed down and looked out over the grass field to see what he was looking at and all I saw was the grass. I wondered what on earth he was doing taking such effort to take pictures of a plain grass field. A few minutes later, as I came around the corner onto Woodinville-Redmond Road, I looked ahead and saw the beauty of Mt. Rainier looming over the landscape and it suddenly dawned on me, of course, he was taking a picture of that mighty, majestic mountain. I had forgotten about the mountain.

At that moment I thought about how often I don’t notice the beautiful things in my life. I’m so focused on getting to my next destination or getting the next thing on my list accomplished that I forget to appreciate the things around me. The beauty and splendor of God’s creation, the wonderful people God has put around me, the glory of His presence in my life. That day, I recommitted myself to take time and notice the beautiful things God has placed in my life. The words of one of my favorite Psalms echoed in my brain, “The heavens declare the glory of God, the skies proclaim the work of His hands . . . . They have no speech, they use no words; no sound is heard from them.”

How often do you find yourself speeding through life and not noticing the beauty around you? I think that, especially in our times of stress and distress, we forget to see the beauty around us. God’s creation shouts to us, “I was created by the great Creator for your pleasure and enjoyment!” That’s how much God loves us. Today I challenge you to stop and notice the beauty around you―actually, not just today, but every day. Recommit your life to being a person who listens to the silence of the beauty surrounding you each and every day of your life. Then take time to be thankful. It will draw you closer to the Creator and you will be blessed. I was.

Have a great a glorious week!

Pastor Linda Skinner

No comments: