Thursday, November 10, 2011

"Defining Moments: Performing for an Audience of One!"

I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes… Romans 1:16

There is something splendid when someone makes a stand. It might be impossible, it might look a bit ugly, it may appear sloppy to a perfectionist, but if it’s right and it’s courageous- - - then you have to admire them. I love how after Pearl Harbor, President Franklin Roosevelt said, “The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.” Is that true? I can think a lot of things that the United States had to fear at that time. The Nazis getting the atomic bomb, invasion of Alaska, running out of natural resources, not knowing who their allies were going to be- - - but he boiled it down to one courageous statement. I love how Winston Churchill said (prior to the Nazi invasion of England), “We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!” That bulldog of a British Prime Minister was not going down without a fight- - -and I for one love it! These are the kinds of moments that define us.

For the church it’s all about reaching people with the life-changing gospel of Jesus Christ. Watching people (who everyone has given up on) become clean and sober, saving marriages, rescuing young people from terrible decisions, launching world-changing dreams! Who could be ashamed to the gospel of Jesus Christ knowing it’s the power of God for salvation.

I for one know that my life will boil down to a few defining moments- - - moments that really determine so much. I just hope in those moments that I can honor Jesus Christ- - - that I will play for an audience of one and that I will demonstrate courage that comes from my faith in God which has been instilled in me since I was a child. I believe that those are the moments that will rise above all others.

I love the old “True Grit” movie- - - when John Wayne is trying to save a kidnapped girl. He’s in no shape for the challenge ahead of him- - - four bad guys all well mounted and he has a patch over one eye. He charges with both guns blazing and yelling courageous statements at the top of his lungs! He was unashamed.Your friend for the rest of my life,

Dr. Tim White

No comments: