Wednesday, November 23, 2011

We're In This Together!

My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that testing of your faith produces patience. James 1:2 (NKJ)

It’s impossible to explain to someone who has not gone through this kind of crucible―the death of a loved one, the loss of a career, the diagnosis of a lifelong debilitating disease. At those moments, for the person of faith, something happens that no poet has ever adequately described. Job tried, when he said “When He hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold” Or when he said, “Though he slay me, yet I will trust him.” or “For I know that my redeemer lives.” God comes alongside as the best friend you could ever imagine and His love is real. He forges gold in our soul. We feel Him at work for our good even in an unexplainable tragedy.

For Washington Cathedral, people are coming together in prayer. Many are walking around the campus praying. In a miraculous act Komo News came out and did a story about the challenge we face. People have been unfairly criticizing―that is true. But it’s only a small amount compared to all the good that is taking place. I received a call all the way from New Jersey from a businessman that I have never met, but he called because he was touched by the prayer of Hill Top Presbyterian Church that Sunday morning for our church. He wanted to know how he could help. There have been so many calls and emails from people far away people saying that Washington Cathedral matters to them. The bank saw the news broadcast and called to let us know they are going to work more closely with us to resolve this somehow. They even complimented us on what good customers we have been.

This Sunday night at 5:30 we are going to have the old clay jar potluck dinner. We are going to hear stories about how our church has touched people’s lives. The music will be great and we will take a miracle offering. My biggest prayer is that everyone will give something to show unity- - - that itself is a miracle. It’s a statement that we are all in this together- - - that we are a family for the rest of our lives. Last week we had over 500 just in our 11 am service (we had four others happening at that hour too). Attendance was significantly up and it felt like a miracle as Pastor Rey brought us a message from God through Honduras. This may be the best time of my life- - - waiting and working for a miracle. That is the way I want to remember life- - - and to be remembered by those that love me.

Your friend for the rest of my life,

Pastor Tim White

No comments: