Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Why I'm All In the Daniel Fast


I write this email from a caffeine-withdrawal fog….so please excuse any nonsensical sentences. The withdraw symptoms aren’t that extreme – I’ve already been limiting myself to two cups of caffeine a day (the pregnancy allowance). But not having that first cup in the morning really makes a difference in my mental energy and good mood….which is why I am “All In” for the Daniel Fast.

Being a feeling-oriented person I’ve often let my desires or cravings influence my daily actions: feeling tired? Stop for a cup of coffee…forget the fact that I may be 15 – 20 minutes late. Had a bad day? Why not go out for ice cream with a friend or family member? Too tired for my evening devotional time? I’ll do it in the morning (then I sleep in).
I want all of that to change. I want to be led by the Spirit of God, not by my whims and desires. Galatians 5:16 – 18 tells us that the flesh and the Spirit are often at odds with one another, and that we are to be led by the Spirit, not by our flesh. And Romans 8:14 – 17 shares the good news that all led by the Spirit of God are children of God, and if we are children of God we are also heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ (if in fact, we suffer with him so that we may be glorified with him).
My hope is that as I learn to nail my selfish desires to the cross I can be more aware and open to what God has for me, and create a greater impact in my community, which is so in need of revival. And all it takes is turning my focus away from my task list and my personal wants toward the Lord and all that he has for me....so I’m all in!

-          ANNOUNCEMENT  -

The Daniel Fast reaches its climax with our Fall Kickoff on October 7th! As part of your Daniel Fast, begin praying for those people you will share your faith with and invite over these next two weeks!

2 comments:

Diane said...

Nice to prove to myself that my eating doesn't have to control mr.

Anonymous said...

I totally identify with Elise's message. I, too, struggle with responding to my feelings over responding to the Spirit of God.

I have been learning so much about walking with God both just prior to the beginning of the Daniel fast and since then.

One thing I gave up in addition to excess food was secular TV programming. I can't say whether I am permanently giving it up, but it has changed my life to only turn the TV on to spiritual programs. This morning I saw a part of a show called "Against All Odds" about the miracles that have happened in Israel and that continue to happen. It is influences like this that focuses my mind more on God and away from worldly things. I have found myself happier since I committed more of my life to God and left secular TV behind, among other things. I find myself singing at odd times. Last night I woke up singing "A Foundational stone".

I have also been learning during this time about the festivals in the Bible and how to celebrate or observe them today. God's word and what Jesus did for us as well as what God plans for the future is becoming more precious to me all the time.