Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Not a Fan


By Pastor Tim White

Not a fan.  It is the name of the sermon series that Pastor Rey and I are diving into in the coming weeks.  We will focus on how we can help you discover your gift and fully engage in the mission of your life - the great adventure that God has going on right here in our world. 

We hope that we can embrace a culture of deep personal relationship with the Son of God.  One that is so transformative that it could never leave us where we were.  Remember, “He who has the Son has life.  He who has not the son of God does not have life” (1 John 5:12).

I have to confess that I have been enjoying how little Isabella is wearing out Elise, Rey, Elijah and the rest of the extended family.  She weighs only 5 pounds 13 ounces, but she is a handful.  It makes me chuckle because her mom did the same thing to us.  As first time parents, you may think having a baby is just kind of a side thing that is not going to be too demanding.  Think again.  He who has a baby is going to have their hands full.  That is not a scripture but it has certainly been true in my experience.

I remember the time I was stuck (well I should say I volunteered) watching the children for the W.O.W. Bible study.  It was in the early years and there were only about 10 kids to watch.  But after one hour, they had colored on the walls, crushed some indoor plants, eaten dirt, broke a few things, escaped a few dozen times.  After that I was never asked to watch the kids again, and I have been resting ever since.

They were such a handful. 

So why would we think following Jesus would be a nice tidy religion.  It is a relationship with a living, thinking, loving being whose ways are so much higher than our own that we are going to have our hands full.  He is going to challenge us to fully engage in the things that are important- no essential- to be fully alive in.  The good news our hands are not just full of challenge, because he takes our hand and walks through what we could never do by ourselves.  It is the adventure of a lifetime!  Get ready as Pastor Rey brings the sermon to you next week that God is going to Rock our World.

No comments: