Friday, May 11, 2007

Compartmentalizing the Future

For I know the plans for you, says the Lord. They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.
Jeremiah 29:11

The other day, I had the opportunity to play a round of golf at Bear Creek Country Club with an airline captain, the director of a futurist think tank, and a director of a financial investment company. In 18 holes of golf, none of us talked about our profession or personal life. The only exception was when I hit my tee shot in the yard of one of my playing partners. He said with a smile, “I know the owner of that home quite well and I will retrieve your ball.” I asked, “Whose house is it?” He said with a smile, “It’s mine.” For the rest of the golf game we talked about the weather (it was hailing at times.) We told a few jokes, mentioned our families, and talked about golf.

I think that is the way men are. We are very good at compartmentalizing our lives and just because you know us in one setting, doesn’t mean that you know a lot about us. And one huge compartment that many of us never get around to opening is “the future”. Are you ready for the future? I think all of us have some fear of change. The kids keep growing up, jobs keep changing in description, the community just keeps changing as time goes along. Sometimes, we just wish change would go away. But as we know, change is coming and nothing can gear us up for the future like faith. Faith says, God is in charge of the future! Faith says, God will help us prepare for the challenges of the future! Faith says, stop whining about change, step up to it, and respond with a positive attitude. Faith even says, lets get excited about the great things God has ahead for us in the future.

In faith, I can say that I am not afraid of old age. There maybe a hole in one still waiting for me. There are new levels of wisdom to be achieved, new accomplishments of mentorship to be adventured through. In fact, in faith, I can believe that God has a better idea than death called eternal life.

Your greatest ideas are yet to be thought of, your deepest friendships are yet to be experienced and your greatest accomplishments are yet to be enjoyed. God has good things ahead for you and me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like you, we are joyfully waiting the arrival of our first grandchild around the end of June. This is such a wonderful time of life. We look forward to teaching our grandson how to golf as well as share in many other activities. We also look forward to sharing our faith and being postitive role models for him. God Bless, Kathy Dietz

Fiona said...

I have stepped into an interesting place of faith-living over the past 3 years. One thing I read which really resounded in me regards Faith and Patience. Faith being able to see as being, something that we have yet to see in actuality. It's believing in reverse. Patience is pausing and waiting for further instruction. I like that, it helped make the future not so much a thing to fear as something to look forward to with anticipation. Fiona Monaghan