Friday, May 25, 2007

In God's Image

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. Genesis 3:27

There are many things in life that I love to observe. I love birds. I could sit and listen to the birds sing at dawn and waist the better part of an hour. The image of bird watchers has not always been the most macho of images. But I plead guilty, I like birds. I also love to observe insects. When I was a boy I would spend a whole day just watching insects and then would read everything I could about a species of ants or bees. I love to observe stars and someday we will have an observatory on our campus. I have been accused at being like an “old mother” bragging about people in our church. I am amazed at the entrepreneurs in our church that have started from scratch and really built something that financially benefits their employees and our economy. I am amazed at the scientists in our church and the joy I see on their faces when they speak about their chosen area of study. I am amazed at the craftsmen in our church that rebuild cars as a pastime or maintain sailboats. I am amazed at computer programmers, mathematicians, musicians, poets, and stay at home moms. I admire people in service organizations that are the backbone of all their organizations accomplishments. I love to talk to teachers, mechanics and electricians. I enjoy people because the Bible teaches that they are fearfully and wonderfully made. That we are all created in the image of God.

I see flashes of God’s image in the dry sense of humor of a homeless man, or an act of caring by a tired nurse. I see brilliance and genius in the craft projects that children bring home after Sunday school or in the questions of a critic. We are all made in the image of God.

Look in the mirror and see your features and remember – you are made in the image of God.

Your God’s image assignment this week is to take a moment to observe people and look for God’s footprints. Ask someone who loves you to discuss with you the footprints of God’s image in your life.

No comments: