Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Summer Time

Here we are, right on the verge of summertime! Wasn’t it January last week? Time flies…

How do we tune in to the sunny season before it’s over? Something that helps me slow down a little bit and enjoy life is remembering what I love about it. Here are a few things that leap to mind:

Summertime is full of favorite fragrances…

The smell of coconut and chlorine means there must be a pool nearby. Blue pool-water below and blue sky above is a beautiful place to be!

And what could be more summery than the smell of a fired-up grill? You might love the aroma of steak over charcoal; I’m partial to salmon and portabellas… yum!

Of course, there’s the scent of fresh-cut grass, which I especially enjoy when somebody else did the mowing.

Summertime is full of favorite sounds…

During the sunniest months, I load up the CD player with music from Brazil; it’s the perfect sonic backdrop. Seventies “power pop” hits the spot too (Badfinger, Big Star, The Raspberries…), and there’s no denying Paul Simon’s “Kodachrome” its rightful place as summer essential.
Give us those nice bright colors
Give us the greeeeens of summer
Makes you think all the world’s a sunny day, oh yeah…

Sometimes songs I don’t even like carry wonderful summertime memories. For instance, “Close To You” by The Carpenters transports me back to my favorite Adirondack lake.

Hearing Dave Niehaus call a Mariners game on the radio is a surefire sign of summer. He helps me find the rhythm of the season.

Clocks and calendars seem to have less power in July and August. There are better things to do than worry about what time it is – things like nothing! Nothing is an excellent thing to do in the summer.

Camping is a great way to do nothing; it provides shape and substance to no-agenda. Lounging on the back deck with a book, or shooting the breeze with a friend can do the trick too.

Oh, and let’s not forget one of the very best things about summer in Redmond, WA – the air-conditioned sanctuary at Washington Cathedral! It’s cool to be cool.

What are some of your favorite things about summer? Leave a comment about your favorite aspects of the season.

3 comments:

Elaine Burnett said...

Summertime - a time for sweet memories - the aroma of bacon cooking at a campsite,strawberries, sweet corn, Little League games, going barefoot, and my first introduction to Seattle for 8 days in August, 1984.......not a drop of rain.....what do they mean, it rains in Seattle?

Ry said...

Just like some people might look forward to deer or duck hunting season, I look forward to summer as in ushers in the start of apple pie hunting season. The wild apple pie is a worthy prey, but luckily my grandmas are well practiced in it's capture.

Summer also has special meaning for me because at our house July is "Mohawk Month". Where for 4 glorious weeks my wife allows me to make myself less attractive in her sight by the return of my all time favorite haircut.

As for the sounds of summer, if you're just driving around town you can't beats Red Hot Chili Peppers. But nothing says road trip like Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, peppered with Tom and his brothers the Traveling Wilburys.

Scott said...

These are excellent offerings! We definitely have a "Part Two" brewing -- "Summer Time: The Sequel"...