Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Hooray for Chaos!”

There has never been the slightest doubt that the God who started this great work in you wouldkeep at it and bring it to a flourishing finish on the very day Christ Jesus appears. (Philippians 1:6 The Message)

Sometimes I have no choice but to drive slowly – or even stop - on my way to church during the week. Traffic control flaggers along Redmond-Woodinville Road are making sure that safety precautions are in place during the construction of the new access road being built on our property. That has given me an opportunity to take a lengthy look at the huge dirt rearrangement that is going on along that hillside.

This took me by surprise. I’d seen road construction before but this looked like the sort of construction necessary to build an underground railway system or cut through a mountain. Surely this was overkill, I thought to myself.

Then I remembered that we were building for many generations to come. It was important that what we create here be constructed with an eye to the future. The infrastructure must be done carefully and with quality materials. It must stand the test of countless numbers of vehicles carrying precious humans onto a property totally dedicated to whatever use the Creator has in mind.

I read Pastor Naomi and Sara Clark’s Radiance article about how “green” our new building is and was reminded again of all the thought and attention to detail that has gone into this project.

The job isn’t finished yet and it is still a bit of an eyesore. But I’ve seen the landscaping plans for the future and they are beautiful!

I believe God has been working on all of us at Washington Cathedral in much the same way. Our initial experience of changing and becoming can look pretty chaotic. There’s always more fixing up to be done, but once the infrastructure is in place, the fruit of the spirit becomes apparent and very appealing. God has a plan for every person who comes on this property – and it’s beautiful!

Hooray for chaos! Good work is in progress!

Pastor Sally Jo Holmes

No comments: