Monday, September 15, 2008

"Hope!"

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13

What is your life verse? If you were to tell your family and friends that one verse summed up your life’s highest aim what would it be? Of course you probably know that our churches verse is Isaiah 61. You have heard the story of how we received that verse and the adventure of following that aim. But my personal life verse chosen by me is Proverbs 3:3-4. “Never let loyalty and kindness leave you! Tie them around your heart. Then you will find favor with both God and people, and you will earn a good reputation.” Proverbs 3:3-4.

One day, in 1980, I had the chance to hear famed theologian Carl F. H. Henry who started Christianity Today. He had been a close friend of Billy Graham and in his day, was one of the greatest thinkers in Christian circles. After hearing him speak, I went up and asked for his autograph. During a brief conversation, he asked me about my dreams. I told him about my vision of Washington Cathedral. He proceeded to sign my journal and wrote “Romans 15:13.” He said that this was my life’s verse. I told him I already had a life verse, but he didn’t care and he gave me a new one. This many years later, Romans 15:13 is still a challenge for me to live. The God of hope is so important to me. In fact, Washington Cathedral’s new identifying statement is - - - “Join us as we learn the conversation of hope.” Our world desperately needs hope and it is going to take someone with a deep positive faith in Jesus Christ to share it. Especially in our fearful world today. I desire to be filled with joy and peace because of this hope as I learn to trust him. I have to tell you that I still have a long way to go to learn to trust him at that level. But I am absolutely committed to make such advancement in this area that my family, my friends, my church and my community will be shocked – impressed by what Jesus is doing in my life as I overflow with hope by the power of the Spirit. This is going to be the best autumn of my life. I am so thankful for the gift of life and the opportunity to grow right before your eyes.

Your friend for the rest of my life,

Pastor Tim White

No comments: