Monday, December 8, 2008

“AN OLD CAVE BELOW BETHLEHEM”

I was instantly, gloriously deaf!
And a little disoriented- - -
Standing there a stupid four feet from the big bells in the tower of the
“church of the nativity” (Bethlehem).

I just couldn’t accept the old church as a sight of the birth of “The Baby.” So I bribed, snuck and bluffed my way into the rooms under the old church and pretty much any place else where I shouldn’t have been- - - My heart and my brain kept saying, “No way!”

Staggering down the ladders and steep steps in the gathering darkness. I’ll never forget the view towards the shepherds fields. Jerusalem maybe five miles away and poorly lit in those days. Then I was riveted to the awesome shadow of Herod’s palace fortress against the skyline maybe fifteen miles towards the Judean wilderness.

Below Bethlehem the shepherds fields stretched peacefully into the shadows.

Standing there I vowed that someday I would explore those fields foolishly hoping I would find the remains of an old barn- - - sure, 2,000 years later!

Maybe eight years later- - - I was living out my vow and finding myself staring in disbelief at an ancient cave at the edge of the fields. It obviously had been for centuries a perfect shelter for shepherds to escape the storms with newborn lambs.

Or, a perfect place for poor travelers.

Especially a private place for a soon to be mother.
Yes!- - - I fell on my knees there.
And remember it every Christmas since.

December 21st, 22nd & 23rd- - - with the help of many friends- - - we’ll recapture the greatest event in history- - - and it took place in an old cave below Bethlehem. It was the Glory of Christmas!!!

Dale/Caleb

No comments: