Monday, December 29, 2008

"New Beginnings"

Devotional thoughts from the Washington Cathedral Writers’ Group

“Change” By Abby Hegge
Beginnings are often feared by people because they bring change. Change is often feared by people because there is a chance for something to go wrong when things happen differently. However, if we always fear change, how can we move forward? How will our lives get better if we are too afraid to accept the blessings that God offers us? If Gideon had been too afraid to follow the Lords call and lead the Israelites against the Midianites, Israel would have been poor, starving, and overrun by cruelty and sin.Happily, Gideon had the courage to do as God asked, and nothing bad happened. In fact, because of this courage, Gideon became an honored hero, and a lot of good happened. If God is asking you to do something, listen to Him, because your life will change for the better. Don’t let your heart be overcome by fear, but open it to God’s voice. Godly change leads to good.


“New Beginnings” By Marilyn Biggs
He is dead! He has gone to Heaven! My husband of 54 years has gone from my life!

Life as I have known it for so many years is over - no more breakfasts and dinners together, nobody to cuddle up to in bed. Trips to Mexico and other fun places will be no more - that Time Share was fun for a while!

No one to take out the garbage or wash the car! Family times together will be missing it’s most exuberant member, no onesneaking in doughnuts and candy bars! No ball games blasting away on 2 different TV sets!

This season of life is over! God called Bill home, and I will miss him. So, a “new beginning” ahead, a new life without Bill.Life does go on! I must go on until God calls me tome too. As long as I’m still here, God has something for me to do!

God led Bill and I to Washington Cathedral 14 years ago, and He called us into ministry here. Well, there is still “kingdom work” to be done at Washington Cathedral, in that new ReCreation Center. I have more time now to pray and be involved in more activities here. I am loved and valued here, and there is much to do: people to love, lessons to learn and lessons to teach,assignments to carry out, and more friends to meet and fellowship with, to spread the Good News to.

Thank you Lord, for planting me here at Washington Cathedral before you took my loved one home. You knew I would be in good hands here. The next “New Beginning” I will experience will probably be the beginning of eternity in Heaven with Jesus and reunion with my loved ones.

1 comment:

Kristin Qualls said...

Abby - very well said! It's wonderful to see you blossoming in your writing and blessing us with your words of wisdom - even as a young person the Lord is using you tremendously! Chester and I were so blessed to have taught you in Sunday School - although I'm thinking maybe we were learning more than the kids were - through the gift of being a part of such wonderful kids' lives!