Tuesday, January 6, 2009

"Relationship or Religion?"

We proclaim him, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone perfect in Christ. To this end I labor struggling with all hisenergy, which so powerfully works in me. Colossians 1:28-29

Many times Christians grow dry in their faith. When they pray it feels like God is a billion miles away. Their fervor which was once so full of forgiveness, joy and compassion for other people now becomes satisfied at the altar of legalism and the temple of exclusive superiority. You have heard people who are reallydiscouraged say, “Well at least we are better than so and so.” This kind of thinking is what we call “false righteousness” because it is a cheep and easy pick me up. But it takes a toll. It has been my observation that often these people begin to talk less about Jesus and more about God. But inside the Spirit of God is not refreshing their Spirit. This is the tendency when we move from relationship to religion. How do you handle times like this?

When I first became a Christian I thought Jesus Christ was so cool. He was my hero, and my friend. My Lord and my savior. I was just amazed that he really did live, and was still alive answering prayers. When I prayed it felt like he was in the room. When I was disturbed about something it was if he took me in his arms as a loving father and spoke to my heart. When we went for a walk it was like neither one of us needed to say anything. Just being together was so good. When I saw a picture of him my heart leaptwith enthusiasm to say, “I follow him.” When I met another Christian it was as if I was meeting a long-lost family member. I was so overwhelmed at God’s forgiveness of me that I could not bring myself to judge others. If they wanted help I was right there with compassion. When someone spoke of the “high calling of Jesus Christ to some new standard of living” my heart cried out and I responded to the challenge. I was the first one forward at every church altar call just because I was always ready to grow and always proud to tell people that I followed Jesus Christ.

Slowly, the enemy gets a hold. We run into the weakness of other Christians and a divisive attitude sets in. We start to think we are stronger than almost anyone we know. I call this stage “Christian adolescence.” Doesn’t that remind you of the way you thought when you were a teenager? You became an expert on your parent’s imperfections. In fact you could write a book on them. You knew so much more than your parents. The problem is... this kind of thinking creates distance between you and them and sets you up to make some hazardous decisions. And so it is when you grow through Christian adolescence.

In Revelations 2:4 Jesus says, “Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken your first love. Remember the height from which you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first. If you do not repent,I welcome to you and remove your lamp stand from its place.”

The wonderful news is that when we have strayed from the joy and power of keeping our eyes on Jesus, he is ready to forgive us and to renew us. As the psalmist said, “Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit to sustain me.” Psalm 51:10-12

Your friend for the rest of my life,

Pastor Tim White

No comments: