Tuesday, January 20, 2009

"I was frankly amazed last Sunday morning!!"

Standing there on the worship platform, just starting to preach. I suddenly realized something very powerful and very, very comfortable!

I was experiencing a preaching-pastors “fully-alive moment” in terms of relating to theworshipers. Maybe you didn’t realize how much the feedback of the worshipers means to the preacher. Real preaching is as much- - - “Yes!”- - -”Yes!!” from the congregation, sensing God-energized ideas or else the sermon is nothing but a dull lecture.

If you’ve ever tried to pour out your heart in joy and love to someone through a rail fence or speak in total vulnerability to another person who happens to be standing behind someone else (and you can’t even see their face) then maybe you’ll understand what I’m trying to say.

The Mountainside Sanctuary in the Randy & Rod Halvorson ReCreation Center is frankly an awesome place. It reminds me of the wonderful, little, country-church sanctuaries where it seemed my heart was strangely warmed every Sunday morning. And now, believe it or not, we have the same rapport but with padded seats and individual arm rests. Actually it reminds me of the Greek/Roman theatres which provided every seat in the house with a direct view of the speaker. Sunday I was looking directly into the eyes and the face of every single person in the room. Maybe even more importantly, I could feel love and warmth in their faces flowing back to me.

Frankly I recommitted myself to weekly praying and giving- - - and I thanked God again for the chance to be a part of such an incredible and totally practical dream that is already happening and yet only just beginning through Washington Cathedral.

And all week long I had these beautiful moments when I remembered specific faces in that worship service- - - and I felt growing expectation for next Sundays worship.

Caleb

No comments: