Tuesday, August 31, 2010

"Another of God's Surprises!"

Elijah the prophet walked up to the altar and prayed, “O Lord, God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, prove today that you are God in Israel and that I am your servant. Prove that I have done this at your command. O Lord, answer me! Answer me so these people will know that you, O Lord, are God and that you have brought them back to yourself.” 1 Kings 18:36b

I could not sleep. We were leaving at 6am to drop Ben and Becca at SeaTac to fly to New Jersey. The McCary family was going to meet early at our house for prayer. So at 4am I woke up, sat by the stove, and had a cup of sleepy time tea. Up the stairs came my youngest daughter dressed for school. She said, something like this, “Do I look ready to go to Princeton?” To me she looked just like she did the first day of preschool. We always took “first day of school” pictures of our kids on our back deck. Time goes so fast.

Becca never set a goal to go to Princeton or to win a scholarship - it was just one of those miracles that happened for her and Ben from the very throne of God. Nobody guessed that they would get married after growing up in the same church. It was just another surprise by a God who loves to surprise us. What a joy to pick your daughter’s husband and their family. (Well, we didn't pick- - - but we delighted in the pick!) We never dreamed that a Presbyterian church would hire both of them and the Senior Pastor would pick them up at the airport and have them spend the first night at their house. It was just yet another of God's surprises. Jackie and Becca cried when they hugged and Ben and I made a hug look really clumsy, but when I hugged my baby girl―well she was still my baby girl. People often tell me they are afraid of their kids growing up. I tell them it goes fast and it’s sad to leave each stage, but it just keeps getting better- - -another of God's surprises!

Can you image how surprised everyone was when fire dropped from heaven after Elijah’s prayer? It must have made even Elijah tremble!

Here is my devotion for you today, “Why not trust God - walk with him - stick your neck out for him and put your life in a place to be surprised by his mighty love?” To me it is like having a fish line in the water waiting for a bite. You never know what God is going to do! So- - - apply for the new job, launch the new business, love your kids - God's way! Build your life on your hopes and wait on the Lord.

Your friend for the rest of my life,

Pastor Tim White

No comments: