Friday, March 11, 2011

"A Holy Experiment!"

Partnership means work! It means legwork! It means teamwork! It means we work! John Maxwell, The Power of Partnership in the Church (Pg. 21)

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the Sun has risen―not only because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else." C.S. Lewis, Is Theology Poetry (CS Lewis Collection, p.21)
Wow, two great quotes both from page 21 of two different books. I love to consider the potential, the fun, the power, the sheer joy, the peace of being in partnership with God. The prospect makes me quiver with excitement! I love every time God calls someone into a relationship with him. As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. ”Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." At once they left their nets and followed him. (Mark 1:16-20 NIV)

As I write this devotion, my daughter called from Princeton and asked me, “Dad, what are you doing to observe Lent?” I told her my plans and how we were having a special Ash Wednesday service tonight. Then I received a call from a pastor/friend from another church. We talked about a bunch of things and he said, “I see you guys are celebrating Ash Wednesday. What are you doing to observe Lent this year?” I told him of our church’s 40 days of fasting and that I am giving up a meal daily and implementing a general healthy lifestyle along with it. I told him about the three people I am praying for and our waves of the Soul Tsunami. He asked me if it would be alright for him to stop by and joined our Ash Wednesday service tonight. After completing our conversation―I thought, “The waves begin!”

Let me sum up the concept of this “Soul Tsunami” in a nutshell for you. Is that a metaphor? (If not I am starting one.) Every day for 40 days each person in the whole church wakes up and asks Jesus, “What would you do through me today?” What thoughts would you have my brain entertain? What words would you have me speak? What good deeds would you have me do? What random acts of service would you have me do? Use me Lord today!”

What a holy experiment! People are very worried about home-grown terrorists today. Well- - - the terrorist should worry about the climate of fear and cynicism which causes people to resort to the desperation of terrorist thinking being challenged by home-grown followers of Jesus Christ! Not just being religious or talking a big talk, but joining together in a holy wave of a Soul Tsunami! It’s going to be an adventure! I can't wait to hear the stories and to be on the front lines of people asking the big question- - - “Will we put down our nets and follow Jesus?” I can't think of a better partnership!

Your friend for the rest of my life,

Pastor Tim White

No comments: