Friday, March 25, 2011

"Our Family of Faith!"

“Therefore, whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone―especially to those in the family of faith.” Galatians 6:10

When someone discovers a personal faith in Jesus Christ and becomes a part of the family of Washington Cathedral it is such a blessing to every single one of us- - - and to the whole world! A family accomplishes what it does, because every member is playing their role. When a child goes to top university, it’s a joy for the whole family; the older siblings that taught that child to be tough, the mother that taught that child to walk, the father who helped that child with their math, and the grandparents that spoiled that child and made their self-confidence sparkle. (Even the neighbors that bought Girl Scout cookies from that child are proud.) It’s a blessing to the entire community.

When I think of our family of faith here at Washington Cathedral I think about how it’s always changing―there’s a sadness in that, but there’s also a joy. I tell young parents, “Kids grow up quick, but every stage is wondrous!” We loved when our kids were teenagers, we enjoy now that they are accomplished young adults. Do we miss them being toddlers? Yes and no- - - we don't miss changing diapers, but I still miss watching Sesame Street.


The other day I was having lunch with the Baek family. SuJong and Rachel are wonderful pastors for the Korean Congregation (and their two daughters are just a delight). Caitlin and Aaron, like the rest of the kids in our church, are just world-class cute- - - my mom loves to serve them cookies when they come to church on Sunday morning. When these little girls walk through the door you would think the queen of England had arrived. So on the way to lunch I stopped by Fred Meyer and bought each of them a little present―a Pez candy dispenser that was a fluffy little bunny. The lady that sold them to me started to giggle and I said, “What’s so funny?” She said, “Just the thought of you buying these fluffy bunnies.” Then everyone in line began to roar with laughter- - - I didn’t even try to explain, I just left because I didn’t get the joke. But, what a joy it was when I presented them to Caitlin and Aaron. Their parents are wonderful parents and they told them, “Now, you only get one candy a day until you are out.” But, they had already eaten them all before lunch. Oh how I enjoyed praying with the Baeck family- - - hearing their dreams for their church and thinking of this wonderful family as part of my family- - - the family of faith.


We are attempting to each try and reach 3 other people through our 1 + 3 campaign. Why? Because as our family grows the family of faith just becomes more and more blessed and we can bless each other more and more. What a great time to be alive- - - to watch a miracle take place right before our eyes as our family of faith grows.




Your friend for the rest of my life,


Pastor Tim White


No comments: