Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Confession: My Achilles' Heel


What little boy didn’t want to be like Samson in the Bible?  Supernatural power, no one could stop him! Samson had so much potential. He was chosen, separated, and called from birth to achieve great things for God. Yet Samson, like all of us, had an Achilles’ heel: a deadly weakness in spite of overall strength, which could actually or potentially lead to his downfall.

In the message I mentioned that I am like a spider with six Achilles’ heels.  My seven-year-old niece later corrected me: “Uncle Rey, spiders have eight legs.” She is probably right. I am sure I have more like eight Achilles’ heels.

One of my Achilles’ heels is my anger. Many of us have said something we did not mean in anger, but how many of us have done foolish things when we were mad? I remember one time I took the AFE kids on a field trip and after waiting 20 minutes for a parking spot a man rudely cut me off and stole my spot.  In anger I rolled down my window and chucked the gum I had been chewing at his car, in front of the adoring eyes of my AFE students. What did they learn that day? I was so embarrassed about how I behaved when my Achilles’ heel got the best of me.

We all have so much strength and so much weakness.  Just like Samson, we cannot ignore our weaknesses or it will come back to haunt us.

Our action-point from this weekend was simply to identify your personal Achilles’ heels. If you have no idea what it could be ask a close friend, spouse or relative (your wife might even have a list for you!) Yet sometimes we keep our Achilles’ heels hidden and are ashamed to admit just how weak we truly are. Addressing your Achilles’ heel takes real courage and honest evaluation. Find someone to help you.  Talk to your TLC leader or a pastor. 

My prayer for this community is that we would take a different road than Samson, that instead of ignoring our Achilles’ heels we would address them….our God-given potential and future hangs in the balance.

No comments: