Tuesday, August 14, 2012

When Your Weakness is Exposed


By Rey Diaz

Among my family and friends I am known as an emotional robot.  I don’t cry.  And I don’t know what to say when someone starts crying.  I am known for saying the worse thing possible.  But this does not mean I am not emotional.  In fact I believe that since we are all created in the image of God, we are all emotional beings who might express emotions differently.  If you were to watch me during a football game or driving in traffic, you would see I am very emotional. 

There is nothing wrong with emotions.  The danger comes when we allow these emotions to drive us. In Samson we see a gifted and talented young man with so much potential, who allows his emotions to drive him.  When we allow ourselves to be emotion-driven, our Achilles’ heel becomes exposed.  Samson’s emotions tended to lead him directly into traps.  For many of us, our emotions do the same for us – they expose our weaknesses. 

There is only one solution to this problem.  Paul addresses it in Galatians.  He begs us to “let the Holy spirit guide your lives.”  When we allow God to lead us and guide us, we are safe.  God leads us into a place where he can perform a miracle and turn our Achilles’ heel into strength.

So which are you?  Are you emotion-driven?  Or are you spirit-led?  Maybe you go back and forth between the two.  Today, I want you to do the thing that tough Samson couldn’t do - surrender your emotions to God.  Will you do?

Galatians 5:16-17
So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves. 17 The sinful nature wants to do evil, which is just the opposite of what the Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are the opposite of what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, so you are not free to carry out your good intentions. 

No comments: