Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Where Do I Turn When the Economy (or Anything Else for That Matter) Goes Bad?

By Pastor Linda

I don’t know about you but when things go bad it seems that my natural inclination is to begin to stress out and worry about what is going to happen.  At that moment in time, my imagination can run wild as I think about all the horrible scenarios that I might live when things go horribly wrong.  As a matter of fact, I can be quite creative in this state of worry, painting a dark and dismal picture for my future.

Then I read what Jesus said in Matthew 6:22-23 and I am reminded that what I visualize in my worry has a profound impact on what I begin to believe about myself and more importantly about God.  If I look at the difficulties of life through eyes of faith, God is able to help me to maneuver through the tough times.  If I use the eyes of worry and distrust, I find myself helplessly frozen in a dark place with no hope.

One of God’s greatest gifts is to release us from fear and worry. Jesus said “Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don’t get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes.”  Matthew 6:34 (The Message)

If today’s economy has you tied up in knots you may want to read what Jesus has to say in Matthew 6:19-34 and think about the following questions.  Where am I placing my priorities?  Who am I turning to when things get tough?  Am I getting weighed down with worry or am I being lifted up with faith? 

12 
I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. 13 For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength
.  Philippians 4:12-13

1 comment:

Colette Bolyn said...

I used to get very worried and upset, but now I turn to God and tell Him I belong to Him and that He is the one who has well over my life as I have given it to Him. That way when I pray it gives me great comfort to know what happens is in His well and not mine. I pray alot for more faith. Also I pray to Him about the other people in my life who are going through those kinds of problems. Than I pray for people in general that are going through those kinds of problems. He taught me a long time ago to put the worries on Him, in Jesus name.