Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Small Steps toward Big Trouble


I felt soreness in my legs and feet but ignored it.  I put on my socks.  I pulled on my ankle brace.  I laced up my shoes.  I stretched and warmed up as always.  Then I began playing.  Only a couple minutes into the game I felt the SNAP.  But it wasn’t a momentary accident. Step by step I snapped my Achilles tendon.  Although the moment I remember the most is the SNAP, I didn’t ruin my Achilles tendon all at once.  I ruined it step by step.  Really, it wasn’t even about one day or one week but a long period over which patterns and habits emerged.

When most of us think about Samson, we immediately think about Delilah cutting his hair.  But Samson didn't ruin his life all at once.  Samson ruined his life one step at a time.  Throughout his life he ignored God’s spirit.  He had established habits of allowing his emotions to lead him astray and expose his Achilles’ heel, leading him to forfeit God’s best. Long before he even met Delilah, Samson was walking step by step into a trap.

With each step, Samson had ample opportunity to turn around.  Even in the episode with Delilah, Samson had three chances to realize that he was playing with fire.  The story of Samson is the story of a man taking small steps to big trouble. 

Where are you in your journey?  Are you taking small steps away from God or striding eagerly in His direction? I challenged the entire church with this thought: “What do you do if you are walking away from God?” The answer is simple - turn around….change.  It’s never too late to become who you are meant to be and to accomplish what you are meant to do. 

Mark 1:15 - 15 “The time promised by God has come at last!” he announced. “The Kingdom of God is near! Repent of your sins and believe the Good News!”

No comments: